‘Holm Away From Home

Fika, Music, and More

Settling into Stockholm has come pretty naturally. Surprisingly, I am already unpacked, a characteristic that is somewhat unlike me at home but has helped me settle in much quicker. Besides pack, one of the first things that I did with one of my new roommates was go for a walk and explore the area we were going to be living in.

We found a lot of really nice parks behind our house where we saw lots of people running and enjoying the last of the summer weather as well as a bunch of boats and boat rentals. I can’t wait to go kayaking!

One of the ways my roommate and I got to know each other was by getting Fika (more about this later!) together at a cute cafe down the street.

Fika at Sthlm Raw a super cute vegan cafe. Fun fact: Oat milk is one of the most popular milk options in Sweden since it was created here. It makes a great latte since it foams up so well!

I also got the opportunity to go on an exploration tour during orientation. I made a group with some other students and went to Gamla Stan, which is Stockholm’s old city and home to the Royal Palace. I am hoping to go back either earlier or later in the day to experience the beauty of the old cobbled streets and small shops without huge groups of tourists, but I hear that’s pretty typical.

While looking for things to do around the summer, some of my new friends and I discovered that one of my favorite bands, Bastille, was playing at Gröna Lund, which is like a huge carnival/amusement park. We had an hour before the show started and hopped on the ferry (which is something I’ve always wanted to do!) and had such a great night! We will be going back soon to try out some of the rides!

All in all, it’s been a really great start to the semester and I can’t wait to make a bunch of amazing memories!