Truthfully, I was unsure of how I may process my semester-long experience in Shanghai during my time in Japan. At first, I thought it may be best to separate these two experiences in fear of producing a negative judgement through an unfair comparison. In part I still find this to be true.

As we’ve explored various understandings of the phrase “environmental sustainability” over the last few weeks, we have examined multiple incidents — both historical and contemporary — of pollution. While I was fortunate to study in China for a semester, I found myself struggling with a strong susceptibility to the air pollution. This made me wonder: what would it mean to live in a polluted environment long-term? How does the presence of pollution reflect on the international perception of a state or population?

Clear sky in central Shanghai
near People's Square.
10/1/17

One of the supplemental readings we were provided with describes in detail the former portrayal of Japan as toxic, overpopulated, and even the pollution capital of the world (Avenell, 2012). As I read these words, I couldn’t help but think of the language used to describe China today. Many people have asked me about overpopulation and air quality in China. Even my reading professor — a woman who was born and raised in Shanghai — explained to us that China was a “developing” country and cited air pollution as a key reason.

View of sunrise during day of no-ticeable pollution in Tokyo from Tokyo Central Youth Hostel.
1/15/18

To what extent do we utilize industrialization and environment to subjugate others or to categorize them into our own world understanding? Surely the answer to this question differs from individual to individual. I myself am unsure of how I would answer this. Regardless of what labels we try to divide and organize ourselves with — “advanced” or “backward,” “developed” or “developing” — I do believe that these do not define people. This is something I have come to understand in my time in China and Japan. Whether we are in a country that is a global hegemon or ravaged by war, we are all the same.

As we cast out our labels we are making a judgement on a very specific moment in time, ignorant to the histories and futures we seek to organize. As a result, those in power have created a system in which states can be ranked by their level of economic progress — their “development.” I wonder if we can consider these to be “polluted categories.” As we have heard from ARI staff and many guest speakers, truly frightening things have happened in the name of “development;” the devastation of the Ashio Copper Mine is one example that has been prevalent in our time here in Tochigi.

Though I may not have answers to all of my questions, I am sure of one thing: we should be incredibly careful not mistake our opportunity and privilege as another’s inherent flaw. In that way, we will not perpetuate a system of subjugated, polluted categories.