Busy city, check.  Wonderful food, check.  Way too many people, check.  Tokyo is a place where some people thrive in the chaotic mess of the big city with lights and late nights.  I am not one of those people. I am a sit back and relax with good food type of person.  After these last two days in Tokyo, I needed a break of busy ramen shops and electric signs.  This is why I went to Kamakura for my free days, a coastal city about an hour south of Tokyo.  I stepped off the train and could hear the ocean.

Salmon roe with salmon from a Tokyo restaurant

Ramen from a ticket-style ramen shop in Tokyo

We were all awe struck when we saw the Pacific Ocean, some of us for the first time.  Seemingly un-ending we just stared at its twinkling blue surface, cresting with white caps in the ocean air.  The boardwalk spanned as far as we would want to walk in either direction, so we just picked one and

A full meal of fresh fish and salad on a coastal restaurant in Kamakura

headed out to find food.  About twenty minutes later we stopped at an outside restaurant with a beach view.  Perfect.  The food was amazing, and the atmosphere was laid back

and contemplative.  The food was just as good or better than the food we had in Tokyo, but the view was far better.  This brings to question whether the flavor of the food has the most impact on whether it is “good food”.  Good food consists of more than the food, but also the atmosphere and nearby environment.

The next day we were craving food that was a little more “American” so we stopped at a costal burger joint and feasted.  Even though it was food we were used to eating, there was still a special sense to it, which I think came from the owners of the shop, two young men that looked to be perfectly happy with serving burgers.  Good food is served with love.

An avocado burger served in a ocean-side burger joint in Kamakura

For my last night, I found myself in the basement of our hostel with a bowl of pre-packaged instant ramen, just open the bowl and add water and the flavor packet.  There was nothing fantastic or healthy about it, but I was surrounded by friends so it still was a special meal with good food.  I think this brings around to the question if the flavor has the most impact on being good, and I have come to the conclusion that it is not; that the atmosphere around the food, whether it be on a beach, fancy restaurant, or hostel basement, that makes food “good food”.

Good food expands so much further than flavors and nutrition.  It expands into the atmosphere, aesthetic, care behind its preparation, and those around you when you enjoy good food.  I love good food!