The quality of the package

A perfectly shown ice cream cone. The way it was presented made it looked appealing.

A cute steam bun that caught my attention at Lawson.

During the first three days (January 5 -7), we had free time to observe and explore around Tokyo. KTP had planned these three days for the class to become more familiar with the variety of foods served in Japan and it’s natural environment. When exploring around Tokyo we received a prompt about what is good food? We discussed a little bit about the prompt during our trip to a grocery store in Yokado. In the discussion, some students said that good food is when it’s served fresh, looks delicious, and packed nicely (cute). When I observed the different foods in Japan, I think that Japan is a very unique country. Their food is very delicious and very different compared to other parts of the world. While walking around Tokyo, I saw a cooker preparing to chop a live fish through an open window as he served it with sushi. Customers were allowed to see the process of their food being made and served to them.This is unusual to see in restaraunts freshly preparing food for customers back at home. While observing the different foods I’ve chosen to eat and try, I personally think that good food is mainly the effort they put into processing the food and the quality of its appearance.

While we were in Yokado, we split into food groups and did our own observing on foods around the grocery store. When entering the grocery store, I looked at how things were packed, how much is in the package, and how the item is presented. When exploring the super markets in Japan, I can see the hard work that is put into making profit.