Before – I had many opportunities to think about and observe what makes up good food.  I have come to the conclusion that it is a combination of both the provider and the consumer.  The provider is responsible for presentation of the food, quality of food as a whole and the ingredients and caring about the food they are making.  They should really care about a superb final product and have an invested interest in pleasing the consumer.  The consumer must be open and understanding about the food.  Understanding the quality vs price comparison and is important.  Being in an environment to enjoy food also enhances the experience. For example, a supermarket setting is more chaotic than a park.  If the consumer is hungry or not also depends on how good they perceive the food to be.  It may be good food but if the consumer does not want that food or cannot enjoy the food then it will not be considered “good”.

After being at ARI for a few days, my interpretation of good food has changed slightly.  I was not thinking about how the food was cultivated and grown before eating which is vital to a part of the definition of good food.  I have been eating organically sourced food since I arrived and I have also been exposed to how the food is grown and produced.  We had classes by the ARI staff about how organic farming is done and have been working along side everyone in daily farm chores called Foodlife work.  They emphasize the fact the Foodlife is one word because food gives life and life gives food; a codependence.  This really helps me understand the meaning of good food in a different way because it goes deeper than what I initially observed food wise just in Tokyo.

Overall, good food is really up to interpretation.  People have different standards of what is considered good but I stand by my original thought that it is really about combining the experience of both the provider and the consumer.  I also now see that to have food that not only tastes and looks good but is also produced organically and is good for the surrounding environment is what the producer truly needs and the consumer needs to see.