I’m starting a new blog series called “Denmark’s Must-Do’s” which dives into all of my bucket list Danish things that I will (hopefully!) be doing with my remaining month here in Copenhagen. The idea is not only to do these things but recommend to others how to do them. Is the activity worth it? How can someone get the best experience out of the activity? As always, feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. 

For DIS Students, we travel with our class one of two weeks in March. The other week, we get as a break. Most students choose to spend the break travelling — to Italy, to France, to Spain, wherever — but I wanted to spend my travel break here in Copenhagen. I was travelling with my family the week before (to Greece!!) and wanted to explore areas around the city that I haven’t been able to during the usual school week. The top place on my list? The Louisiana Museum of Modern Art!

Last Wednesday, I started the day off eating cinnamon rolls from St. Peder’s Bakery with my friend Kristen and her parents. St. Peder’s Bakery is a go-to in Copenhagen with their pastries and specialty Wednesday cinnamon rolls, or “onsdagssnegle.” I’d say this is the perfect way to begin every Wednesday (or every day for that matter!). Then, the four of us took the train to the Louisiana. 

Tip: You need to take the train that ends up in Helsingor (although you get off Humblebaek) to get to the Louisiana. This is the same train that you take to the Kronborg Castle! So, you can easily see both the coolest museum in Denmark and the Hamlet castle in one day.

On the right: ALBERTO GIACOMETTI sculpture. These Slender Man – like sculptures stand all throughout this area of the museum

We started our museum experience with the buffet. Now, I usually am not a buffet fan. I’ve seen way too many soggy, cold dishes served with the spoon from the dish next to it … HOWEVER, this buffet was exquisite. I ate pumpkin soup, brie cheese with jam and bread, artichoke quiche, and the most excellent salmon. The tray was a bit expensive, but if you choose to eat at the museum, it’s worth it to pay a few extra dollars for the buffet. You get way more food.

Onto the actual art …

The Louisiana is an experience. It’s interactive and the current exhibit is an exhibit of lights. Below you will see photos of what I call the jellyfish room (I lived out my Finding Nemo dreams of swimming through jellyfish) and the mirror room. The mirror room, also known as the KUSAMA INSTALLATION, is probably the most instagrammable spot in the museum. It is one of their only permanent installations. 

Beyond these two installations, which were my favorite in the museum, the Louisiana houses a whole series of modern artworks. The cool thing about the museum is the way it works with light, specifically the natural light let in from the beautiful oceanside view. The museum is set up on a hill near the shore and uses its interesting architecture (the building is like a large “U”) to complement the pieces. So, you have to walk through artwork to get to other exhibitions. You can immerse yourself in the art, walking through it and even sitting on couches or laying on beds under the ceiling, which features some pretty trippy films. Many people say they can spend the entire day at the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art. I would totally agree (I plan to go back at some point and do the same) because you can easily get lost and lose yourself within the exhibits. 

Why is it called the Louisiana? It has absolutely nothing to do with the state of Louisiana! According to the website, “A nobleman and his three wives. Knud W. Jensen chose to “take over” the name from the country house he subsequently converted into a museum. The property was built and named in 1855 by Alexander Brun (1814-1893), who was an officer, courtmaster and married to three women, all of whom were named Louise. Here at his Louisiana he became a pioneer in beekeeping and fruit tree cultivation.” 

Tip: My tips for a day to the Louisiana would be allow yourself to get lost. Give yourself enough time to explore and, if you love art, read all the descriptions. Take some coffee! Lay on the beds or couches and let the art wash over you (it’ll be an out-of-this-world experience, I’m sure). And enjoy the art that is the beautiful view outside the museum. Take a walk! My biggest advice though would be to slow down and enjoy it.