Annotated Bibliography

Battle, Laura. “Meredith Monk, originator of the ‘extended vocal technique'” Financial Times. Financial Times, 11 Oct. 2013. Web.

This article offers insights into Meredith Monk’s unique vocal techniques in her multimedia performances. It also gives insight into her early life and early choreographic body.

I am continually inspired by Monk’s ability to push boundaries and expectations and admire her invention of her own style of singing.

Dwyer, Colin  A Medal For A King — And For Many Of America’s Greatest Living Artists.  National Public Radio, 2015. Web.

This short article gives information on who has collaborated with Meredith Monk.

Kaye, Nick. Site-specific art: performance, place, and documentation. London: Routledge, 2000. Print.

Kaye describes in great detail specific performances by several interdisciplinary artists. Through anecdotes and analysis on a variety of different site-specific works, Kaye sheds light on the creative process and gets inside the mind of the creator, performer, and audience.

Although my current work isn’t site specific, reading anecdotes about successful performances and learning about creator vs. audience perspectives is incredibly helpful.

Kelly, Jennifer. In Her Own Words: Conversations with Composers in the United States. University of Illinois Press, 2013. eBook.

Kelly interviews 25 female composers and expands on their roles within the art scene. The composers are from a variety of different genres, and are in all walks of life.

Although I am not female, I am often judged as one and face similar prejudice as if I was a female composer because of my feminine gender presentation. This book offered insight into how many composers have navigated such a male dominant field.

Marranca, Bonnie. Conversations with Meredith Monk. New York, New York: PAJ, 2014. Print.

This book delves into Monk’s personal identity as an artist and how her art as shaped her in the process of shaping her art.

I find it valuable to have a role model, in this case Meredith Monk, that is so confident in her ability and artistic choices. This interview with Monk was particularly relatable because she talks about how having multiple art forms within her work is central to her identity.