Guiding Questions

Here are a few of the many questions that popped up prior to, and during my individual major declaration. The questions helped to guide me through my classes, interviews and projects and helped me to determine my niche interests.

• What is the sustainability of acute care hospitalization versus long term care, both financially and personally?
  • I am a proponent of slow medicine, and as of right now, I see no place in which that fits in the American Healthcare System – is there anywhere or any way that it could?
  • How does the allocation of money and time best work to promote Healthcare? Should we be focusing on progressions in technology (expensive and inaccessible to lots) or on maintaining steady but sturdy healthcare (more accessible, but less flashy)?
  • Is healthcare equally accessible to all population demographics?
  • What role does America’s “suing” culture play in healthcare economics?
  • How does alternative medicine interact with acute care? What role does “alternative” medicine play in global health and distributing medical resources?
  • How much value is placed on ethics while prescribing patients their medications? Do doctors look at the financial burdens? Why can medications cost an exorbitant amount for patient compared to their cost for hospitals?
  • Do specialty clinics work better than general clinics?
  • Why are places like the Mayo spending  illions of dollars on creating obscure and exclusive treatments rather than using money to bring all of US to same base line of healthcare? Or global base line to the same level?
  • How is rural healthcare operating differently than urban healthcare? How are rural needs and populations met?
  • What place does emerging technology play in healthcare? Things such as telehealth, blockchain, etc.
  • In what ways has healthcare failed or changed to meet needs in the COVID-19 Pandemic?