Course Work

CLASS 253 Classical Studies in Italy

This course introduces students to the history and art of ancient Italy, focusing on the city of Rome and the Bay of Naples area and covers more than 1000 years of civilization, beginning with the Etruscans and ending with the fall of the Western Roman Empire.  In this course, I learned an overview of the history of Italy and the people who shaped the country into modern Italy. This course will help me put context into the art and architecture that I will be studying.    

HIST 203 Ancient: Greece    

This course is a history of Western civilization’s primary cultures, Ancient Greece from the Bronze Age through the “Golden Age” of classical Greece and the empire of Alexander the Great.  In this course, I learned an overview of the history of Ancient and Classical Greece by reading primary texts and looking at the archaeological evidence. This course gave me the knowledge to put the art and architecture into context with the period and the people living in certain time periods.  

Ancient_ Greece – Google Docs 

Classics 241 Greek and Roman Myth
For the Greeks and Romans myth was a cultural reality, just as it is for us. In this course, I will read the famous tales told by the poets Homer, Hesiod, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, Vergil, and Ovid, and ponder the deeper truths contained in their works of fiction. I will also explore the use of classical myth in later literature and its manifestations in art, music, and drama from ancient to modern times. This class will provide a deeper understanding of the religion of the Greeks and Romans through primary and secondary sources. Even farther, this class will provide an understanding of the important cultural aspects of the Greeks and Romans through these myths.

ART 153 Intro to Art History  

This course introduces students to the working methods of Art History which students learn to analyze works of art visually, to understand the relationships between works of art and their cultural contexts, to consider the practices and politics of museum display, and to think critically about the role of art in their own lives and in society.  This class helped me understand how to correctly look at art and understand the relationship between art and the cultural context and how the imagery in the artwork speaks different voices. The knowledge I developed in this class I will use in the future when connecting museum work to what I find on the field.  

REL 212 Christian Theology in History  

This course offers an overview of the development of Christian thought and practice in the ancient, medieval and modern periods and analyzes the way Christian beliefs have evolved in response to changing historical situations.  This class has given me knowledge of how Christian religion and theology has evolved from history, beginning in Greece and Rome. This information will help me understand how Christian thinking begins and evolved to become one of the largest religions in Europe.   

Theology Research Paper – Google Docs

SOAN 128 Intro to Cultural Anthropology

Students act as Anthropologists who describe and compare cultures and societies, focusing on different aspects such as family and kinship, inequality and power, religion and values, economy and technology, cultural and social change.  This class has given me the knowledge to analyze the cultures and societies of the ancient world and how family, religion, economy, and politics created their culture. It has also given me the knowledge to understand how society has changed over time and how to take this knowledge into the field when looking at how these cultures work.

ARTH 366 Ancient Greek Architecture: Archaic to Roman Monuments 

A study of the major architectural currents in the ancient Greek world from the 6th century BC to the 2nd century AD as these manifest themselves in the surviving architectural monuments of Athens, in order that students may profit as greatly as possible from first-hand, visual contact with the monuments that are the object of their study, almost all sessions of the course are held on the Acropolis, the Agora and other major Athenian sites.

Ancient Greek Architecture – Google Docs

ID 294 Academic Internship 

This academic internship is meant for a collaborative research internship at Antiochia. The intended purpose is to expose St. Olaf students to archaeological methodologies as well as the cultural heritage, the history, and field practices employed by ancient historians when studying ancient cultures. This academic internship will teach me the proper techniques of archaeological excavation through field and lab work.

ARCH 331 Aegean & Ancient Greek Art & Archaeology  

A survey course, with extensive on-site teaching, covering the art and archaeology of Greece from prehistoric times to the end of the Classical period, its purpose is to introduce the student using whenever possible the primary sources (monuments, art, and artifacts) of the ancient civilizations of the Aegean and Greece. This archaeology class will teach me how to use primary sources to understand the art and archaeology of ancient Greece. This class will help continue my knowledge in archaeology through surveys and on-site teaching. This archaeology class will teach me how to photograph artifacts properly in preparation for museum display. I have included some photographs I took in this class.

A survey course, with extensive on-site teaching, covering the art and archaeology of Greece from prehistoric times to the end of the Classical period, its purpose is to introduce the student using whenever possible the primary sources (monuments, art, and artifacts) of the ancient civilizations of the Aegean and Greece. This archaeology class will teach me how to use primary sources to understand the art and archaeology of ancient Greece. This class will help continue my knowledge in archaeology through surveys and on-site teaching.     

ARCH 331 – Google Docs

HIST 398 Domestic Space in Turkey

This class will explore the inhabitants of Antiochia transformed private domestic spaces into facilities of agricultural production. One structure that seems to illustrate this theory has been located at the base of the Acropolis, south-east of the Agora. Since this is the first domestic space to be studied at Antiochia, the evidence presented here offers a preliminary framework for new research. Since only a single room of the structure has been excavated thus far, the analysis will focus on the Late Roman construction of a wine press. An oversized African imported Amphora, Hydria, and Cypriot pottery were found in the soil immediately covering the press surfaces. We initially identified this area as a wine press due to its shape and makeup; the floor is rectangular and constructed with mortar. The wine press appears similar to other wine presses of the period located throughout Asia minor and the Southern Levant but with some important differences: the wine press at Antiochia is unique for its simple structure. For example, there is no evidence for the existence of a connecting vat. This paper will analyze why this wine press was built inside a domestic space. Our findings suggest that local agricultural production increased in the Late Roman period as urbanization developed on the southern Turkish coast.

HIST 396 Research: Archaeological Research Methods

This course provides a comprehensive research opportunity, including an introduction to relevant background material, technical instruction, identification of a meaningful project, and data collection.  This class will teach me how to do correct archaeology research by introducing me to relevant information on how to do archaeology correctly. It will teach me what relevant material I need to use and how to use it, how to identify an essential research project, and do correctly receive data.  This class will give me the essential tools to become an archaeologist and to correctly apply them to research.