Learning Communities: Spring 2014
During Spring 2014, CILA, IT, and the Libraries are sponsoring learning communities organized around the topic of “Tools & Techniques for Online Learning.” The five sessions will be a dynamic mix of discussion, exploration of tools and techniques for online learning, and hands-on practice with these technologies.
- Session 1 – Online Video Interaction: Vidyo, Google Hangouts, & Skype (Feb. 20-21)
- Session 2 – Screencasts for the Flipped Classroom & Video Assignments (Mar. 6-7)
- Session 3 – Active Learning with Clickers and Polling (Mar. 13-14)
- Session 4 – Collaborative Writing & Online Text Interaction: Piazza & Moodle Forums, WordPress Blogs, & Google Docs (Apr. 10-11)
- TEACHING AND TECHNOLOGY SHOWCASE (May 1)
- Session 5 – Online Quizzes & Digital Rubrics (May 8-9)
Dates and Locations:
We have set up two groups for this learning community, the first meeting on five Thursdays from 12:50-1:45 p.m. and the second on five Fridays from 11:50-12:45 p.m.
- Thursdays, 12:50-1:45 p.m.: February 20, March 6 & 13, April 10, May 8
- Fridays, 11:50-12:45 p.m.: February 21, March 7 & 14, April 11, May 9
These learning communities are part of an ongoing project with Carleton College, providing an emphasis on collaborative learning, both with the St. Olaf groups and with the parallel community at Carleton
- Loan of an iPad with the St. Olaf set of apps for spring semester
- 10-15 faculty per session
- Staffed by CILA, IT, the Libraries, and student assistants
- Follow-up CILA lunches and student help during 2013-14 academic year
- Joint events with faculty and staff from the Carleton College learning community
Please join us for a semester of sharing what you know and exploring new possibilities for innovation in teaching and research!